vs Cockfosters (H)

SSML Premier Division 

17th November 2018

A nice sunny but chilly day saw the noisy under 7&8s youth teams who were mascots for the day greet the players.


Arlesey should have taken an early lead as they forced a corner in the 1st min and as is now usual the accurate corner found James Hatch but this time he headed just past the post. A free kick from George Beathe was well taken by Robbie Ponting as Cockfosters probed forward before Lorrell Smith was fed through but his shot was well wide of the target. A good move by Alex O’Brien worked into the box beating his defender; his chipped cross found Hatch whose header brought a save out of keeper Adam Seymour who didn’t quite hold onto it but collected as Hatch closed in on the semi loose ball.


In the 13th min Cockfosters player/manager Ryan Wade went down very easily under a challenge on the edge of the “D” and the ref awarded a free kick. Wade and Beathe lined up the kick and Beathe hit a good shot that beat the wall and the diving Ponting to go into the net and a rather shock early 0-1 lead for the visitors.


Arlesey tried to reset and get their game going, Aedan Gaffney won the ball from Harley Haag and fed a good looking ball to Hatch but he was just O/S, and Smith attacking into the box went down under a challenge but nothing was given and Seymour claimed a corner after a couple of attempts that weren’t struck cleanly. Jamie Stephens was booked for a very heavy tackle on O’Brien and Hatch and O’Brien combined well before O’Brien got off a shot that was blocked. Anther FK by Beathe was well headed back to Ponting by Tom Guiney, and Ponting did well as Haag broke clear but the Arlesey keeper was quick out of his box and beat him to the ball heading clear.


A good move that saw Demi Debola battling well fed in O’Brien but his shot went past the post. A series of Arlesey corners saw the ball cleared off the line and shots blocked before Seymour finally claim the ball after juggling it around. Although Arlesey kept trying for whatever reason things just weren’t quite going right and the half finished a frustrating 0-1 to Cockfosters.


The 2nd period saw Cockfosters replace Alex Michalides with Reece Mosanya. Arlesey pushed forward with a low cross from Aarron Browne that just beat both forwards and a cross in from Ash Fuller also failed to find the forwards and was cleared.


Wade hit a long shot that went over the Arlesey bar before Arlesey made a change and replaced James Hatch with Ryan Lamond which led to a quick reshuffle of the formation. Lamond should have quickly made his mark as a cross in from Browne was headed on to Lamond but his volley went over the bar from a great position.


Cockfosters replaced Stephens with Nick Briggs before Haag had a long shot that went over the bar. Arlesey now seemed to be “upping” the tempo; O’Brien fed in Browne who hit a good shot that Seymour did well to push over the bar for a corner. This was headed out for another and this again was pushed out by Seymour for another as the pressure grew. This corner was different and found Aedan Gaffney who put in good probing ball that Browne may have got a touch on but it came off of Billy Murray and past the keeper for a deserved Arlesey equaliser on 61 mins.


The game was now a good match; Gaffney was fed in and hit a long shot that was collected by the keeper and on the counter Murray found a good ball to Wade who shot wide from a good position. A good ball looked to have fed Smith in for Arlesey but he was again frustrated by a tight O/S flag before a really good move saw Browne push the ball into Alex O’Brien’s path and he smashed it into the top of the net for 2-1 and a great goal on 71 mins


Cockfosters pushed forward on the counter and a shot that was smashed straight at Guiney from about 2 yards brought shouts for a penalty but the ref gave a free kick on the edge for an earlier infringement, this FK Wade put over the bar.


A good ball found Smith racing through but his shot went just over the bar and Lamond who had looked lively since he had come on found Browne with a good ball but his shot just skimmed past the post. Lamond crowned this performance as cheered on by the mascots he picked up a good cross in from Debola and slotted the ball under a defender and the keeper for 3-1 on 82 mins and his 1st League goal (his other was in the cup).


With the game effectively won Arlesey now contained things and saw out the game to what in the end was another comfortable win.

With this Arlesey have won the last 3 games scoring 12 from all over the team and conceding just 3, but now things maybe take a more serious turn as on Tuesday they entertain Leverstock Green who have one of the league leading scorers Jonathan Lacey who has just come back from England C duties in the Falkland’s in their ranks and next Saturday away to 2nd in the League Biggleswade FC which must surely be one of the most important games of the season.




Team :   Robbie Ponting, Lewis Sinclair, Demi Debola, Aedan Gaffney, Tom Guiney ©, Adam Randall, Aarron Browne y (Makuza 86), Alex O’Brien y, Lorrell Smith, James Hatch (Lamond 52), Ash Fuller.


Subs; Ryan Lamond, Ross Taylor, Aaron Gooch, Makudzeyi Makuza, Derek Newton.

















A Members Club Since 1891 

Members Of The Spartan South Midlands League and Bedfordshire F.A

© Arlesey Town FC 2018               Website Designed & Edited By CrazyDog Web Design

Our Sponsors

Social Media

Arlesey Town FC

New Lamb Meadow Stadium

Hitchin Road


SG15 6RS