vs Edgware Town (H)

SSML Premier Division 

2nd March 2019

Arlesey welcomed back Adam Randall for this game but were still missing several players. Charlie Moss was rewarded for his goal at Oxhey in the week with a 2nd start for the season. Arlesey stated positively as Aarron Browne attacked into the box winning a corner that came out to Adam Mead whose good shot skimmed just past the post. Pressure from Edgware led to a poor clearance and the ball came back to Tom Fisher but he put his shot well over the bar. Charlie Moss and James Hatch combined well to work into the box but they were unable to control the ball on a lively pitch and it was cleared.


Edgware were trying to press forward and Omalulu Onabalu was played in but he too blasted his shot over the bar, Steven Benavides hit a long hopeful shot that bounced awkwardly but it was well taken by Robbie Ponting. A break at the other end saw moss beat two defenders before he was stopped by a good save at his feet by Cain Davies in goal. A series of Arlesey free kicks then ensued but they all came to nothing as Edgware defended well and a good cross in from Moss was well taken by Davies low on the ground. A good move from Callum Doyle and Fisher saw them win a corner from which Doyle headed over the bar before fisher won the ball and attacked into the box but as he tried to out turn his defender his shot was well wide of the target.

Edgware were applying the pressure now; a good ball put Onabalu through and he tried to volley over the outrushing Ponting but it went wide, and Benavides latched onto another long goal kick and won a corner but this was easily cleared. A free kick by McCluskey found Onabalu but his turn and shot was weak and an easy take for Ponting. Another free kick was cleared leading to a quick Arlesey break; Aedan Gaffney fed in Moss but again Davies did well to bravely save at his feet. Edgware’s main thrust of attack seemed to be long goal kicks aimed toward Onabalu but these were easy for the Arlesey defence to deal with and the game sort of petered out toward a half time score of 0-0.


The 2nd period started in much the same fashion; a long goal kick taken off Onabalu’s foot by Arron Gooch and taken without difficulty by Ponting. Edgware came much closer as Doyle cut in from the left and hit a shot at an acute angle that cannoned off the post although Ponting may have had it covered and as Arlesey countered Hatch crossed in toward Moss and it was put out by a defender but the ref awarded a goal kick.

Mead then hit a long shot that bounced and was well taken by Davies before yet another long clearance from Davies was heading toward Onabalu but Ponting came out well and beat him with a header on the edge of his area before collecting as the ball drifted into the box. As the wind started to pick up Arlesey pushed forward and Jason Darvall was fouled right on the edge of the area. With the free kick in the “D” Davies lined up his wall before Mead hit a great free kick the curved around the edge of the wall and hit the post before going clear. Both sides were now hitting the “long ball game” a long ball fed in Moss but Paul Marks headed back to his keeper well while another long clearance by Davies was well taken by Ponting on the edge of his area.


The bad marksmanship was affecting both sides now as Marks shot over the bar and the fence while Hatch put a shot well wide at the other end. A free kick from Mead was cleared without a lot of trouble and a head on from hatch was an easy take from Davies. Mead put a ball into the box that was dealt with by Davies as Arlesey started to apply more pressure and from a corner Gooch headed onto Hatch who threw himself at the ball but his header slipped past the post, and from a free kick Hatch looked to have been brought down in the box with a shove from behind but nothing was given.

Arlesey replaced Ryan Lamond with Ricky Lawrence to try to find a different route to goal. Hatch was fouled again getting a free kick that was cleared before as time was running down Moss went up with Davies and the keeper had a few words to say to the Arlesey forward as a free kick was awarded to him. In time added on another Mead free kick was headed wide by Hatch and with the last attack of the game Lawrence shot wide from being fed in from Hatch leaving the game to fish all square at 0-0.


Considering the game produce 5 goals when these teams met at Edgware just 2 weeks ago this game was a disappointment. Arlesey were without several players for this game which defiantly blunted their ambitions and Edgware had very few ideas that didn’t involve the long ball that Arlesey dealt with without any problems leaving us with a victory for both defences.


Next week due to the vagarious of this league Arlesey are again without a game so they will have to wait another week before they entertain Oxhey jets who the met on Tuesday.




Team :   Robbie Ponting, Lewis Sinclair, Adam Mead, Jason Darvall ©, Aaron Gooch, Adam Randall, Ryan Lamond (Lawrence 82), Aedan Gaffney James Hatch, Charlie Moss, Aarron Browne.


Subs; Fabian Brown-Johnson, Ricky Lawrence, Derek Newton, Anthony Araba, Ross Taylor.




















A Members Club Since 1891 

Members Of The Spartan South Midlands League and Bedfordshire F.A

© Arlesey Town FC 2018               Website Designed & Edited By CrazyDog Web Design

Our Sponsors

Social Media

Arlesey Town FC

New Lamb Meadow Stadium

Hitchin Road


SG15 6RS