vs North Greenford United (H)

SSML Premier Division 

20th October 2018

A nice sunny warm autumn day again but a somewhat sparse crowd that may have been because of a certain game down the road. Arlesey started positively with a long shot from Ash Fuller that was taken by Lewis Todd in goal. A free kick from Greenford was put well over the bar and a shot from Duane officer was deflected wide for a corner that was cleared as the visitors responded. Fuller had another effort from range before the very tall Manu Oke-Williams crossed in but it was well cleared by Tom Guiney. A good break by Adam Louth was stopped by a foul from Adam Brown and the produced the 1st yellow card of the game. This FK produced a corner for Greenford but this was eventually cleared by the Arlesey defence. Greenford were putting their game together well and Oke Williams was well played through but he was well stopped by an excellent tackle from skipper Guiney.


Arlesey responded with a good ball in from Ryan Lamond that found Lorrell smith; he turned well and got his shot off which brought a good save from Todd. Aarron Browne cut in and found Makudzeyi Makuza but his shot was well over the bar. On the response Louth won a corner that was cleared quickly finding Lorrell Smith who worked into the box well before winning a corner from which Guiney headed just past the post.


Another good move from Greenford fed in Officer but yet another good tackle from Guiney stopped him in his tracks. As the half drew to a close a good move saw Lamond find Sinclair on the overlap, his good cross forced a corner which produced a good delivery that only just missed Smith in a great position before going out for a throw that came to Fuller who shot over the bar, leaving it all square at the break.

Greenford had a good chance as we started the 2nd period as Oke-Williams was well fed through but he was well stopped by Robbie Ponting coming off his line quickly and saving well at his feet. Arlesey responded with Aarron Browne turning well to shoot that was well taken by Todd, and with a very good chance from a quickly taken free kick Smith was fed through but with Todd coming at him he shot just over the bar. Browne put in another cross that went for a corner. This came to Fuller who found Browne again his cross was horribly sliced by Becka and the ball just went past the post/corner.


This corner came to Lamond who hit a volley that was heading into the top corner before Todd scooped it out. This corner was cleared leading to a break by Oke-Williams but he was well stopped by a well-timed tackle from Adam Brown.

Arlesey started to apply more pressure; Smith won a corner that as cleared by Turner and a cross in from Browne came to Jason Darvall who shot over the bar.


Dominic Rhone must have said something to the assistant as he got booked on his own throw. A well-constructed move starting at Ponting fed in Demi Debola on a good overlap and he got in a shot that was well stopped by Todd. From a FK Fuller found Browne and his great cross in just missed Smith by an inch. Arlesey replaced Lamond with James hatch and reorganised and instantly looked better balanced. Another FK found Smith who turned and shot in the box but he was again thwarted by Todd. From the corner Todd punched well again; the ball eventually coming to Makuza who delivered in a good ball that found Hatch but his header skimmed just over the bar.


Another good run from Debola saw him beat 2 defenders before finding Smith who shot from the edge only to find Todd again. Another good break saw Smith find Hatch who linked to Fuller but his shot went over the bar. It was pretty much one way traffic now with Arlesey applying more and more pressure, another good move saw Hatch find Smith with a good header; Smith hit a shot that was again well saved by Todd.

A foul by Kelly saw him booked and for a strange reason Aaron Browne booked at the same time, but this FK was cleared. A good ball in from Fuller found Smith but it was perhaps a little harsh that he was judged to have fouled his defender.


Makuza was fouled on the edge of the box and Becka this time saw the colour yellow. This FK was over hit out by Fuller.

With the game moving into added time it looked as Arlesey were going to draw a blank with this game but they kept up the pressure. A great break by Browne found Smith whose cross/shot only just missed Hatch at the far post.


A break from Greenford saw a shot go well over but as the ball went out of play the ref call over Smith from the other end of the pitch to book him for im not sure what.


Smith didn’t let this faze him though as from the goal kick Pointing’s ball was flicked on by Hatch to feed Smith through and this time he danced around Todd and slotted the ball in for the vital late goal and 1-0 in the 4th min of added on time.


There was still time for another booking as Louth saw yellow for not retreating from Ponting on a kick and on 96 mins hatch fed in Smith again but his shot was just past the post before the whistle finally went for a narrow Arlesey win.


Arlesey were a little depleted today after lasts weeks “fight night” v Tigers but they stuck to their job well and got their deserved reward in the end after a particularly strong 2nd half. Next up it Potton again for the 3rd time this season already.




Team :   Robbie Ponting, Lewis Sinclair (Randall 82), Demi Debola, Jason Darvall, Adam Brown y. Tom Guiney ©, Ryan Lamond (Hatch 71), Aarron Browne y, Lorrell Smith y, Ash Fuller, Makudzeyi Makuza.


Subs; Adam Randall, James Hatch, Aaron Gooch, Ross Taylor, Carl Chambers.










A Members Club Since 1891 

Members Of The Spartan South Midlands League and Bedfordshire F.A

© Arlesey Town FC 2018               Website Designed & Edited By CrazyDog Web Design

Our Sponsors

Social Media

Arlesey Town FC

New Lamb Meadow Stadium

Hitchin Road


SG15 6RS