vs Potton United (A)

SSML Premier Division 

27th October 2018

For the 3rd time this season Arlesey faced Potton having won the previous 2 games relatively easily, but this was a cold cloudy day although the pitch was good. The game started with a very cagey 1st period, Lorrell Smith found James Hatch who worked it to Ash Fuller but his shot was blocked. At this stage Potton were over hitting their balls forward leaving room for Robbie Ponting to collect without any problems. The home side did well as Jonny Hall found the overlapping Tom Blatch; Ponting punched well under pressure and the defence were able to clear as Potton weren’t really decisive in the follow up. The game turned on a controversial call from the assistant Ref as Ponting came to the edge of his area again to collect; the lino judged that he had collected the ball outside of the area although IF the whole ball was over the line then it must have only been by a millimetre. From the free kick the ball was deflected along the edge over the area wrong footing the wall and it came to Christian Smail who fired a shot past Ponting for 1-0 in just 10 mins.


Potton were just quicker to the ball than Arlesey as Danny Webb fed in Jim Burnside but his volley was over the bar. Arlesey were equally wasteful as Makudzeyi Makuzza worked through, his shot was blocked it came to Fuller who shot well over. Fuller was more on target as he won the ball turned and beat his man before hitting a good shot that brought a good save out of Tyler Josephs. A good cross in from Webb was deflected out for a Potton corner that came out to James Sage but his volley was well wide. From another Potton corner the clearance led to a break from Smith but the defender forced him wide and made it easy for Josephs. Another break this time by hatch saw him cross in but it was an easy headed clearance from Sage. An overlap by Ross Taylor found Jason Darvall but before he could do anything he was crowded out, from this Webb broke through but his touch let him down as the ball got away from him leaving Ponting to collect. A couple more half chances came to the home side but the finishing was poor leaving it at 1-0 at half time as the cold rain started to fall.


The 2nd period started with Potton again looking the hungrier. Burnside over hit a cross and Webb in space was caught up by Ross Taylor who conceded the corner. From this a far post header was cleared off the line by Lewis Sinclair. An Arlesey FK can to Fuller but his shot was weak leaving it easy for Josephs before what looked a foul on Hatch wasn’t given, Potton quickly pushed a long ball forward to find Webb in loads of space and this time he made no mistake putting a low shot under the diving Ponting and into the net for 2-0 on 55 mins.


An Arlesey FK was wasted as Fuller tried to find Hatch but this was intercepted and again quickly cleared to Web again in space but this time the linesman’s flag went up for O/S.


Potton were now playing with more freedom and from a corner on 59 mins the ball came to Smail who hit a shot into the crowd; the ball wasn’t cleared and came to Ryan Don who put it back into the opposite corner for 3-0.


As heavy cold rain came down Arlesey brought on Aedan Gaffney who has recently joined from Ware Fc for his debut replacing Makuzza.

Arlesey now started to play their best football of the afternoon; a cross field ball found Aarron Browne but his shot was wide, Darvall had a long range shot that the keeper spilled but nobody was near enough to collect, the ball was picked up again by Fuller before he found Browne who cross in forcing another corner that was eventually cleared out to Gaffney, he tried an effort from the wing that looked to have beaten Josephs but the ball was well cleared off the line. Fuller worked into the box and went down in a tangle with the defender but only a goal kick was awarded. A response saw Webb again make space to get a cross in but it just missed Ryan Lewis at the far post, and a ball through the centre saw Murrell through but he was well stopped by a good tackle from Ponting outside of his area.


A long ball saw a Potton defender make a mistake pushing the ball past his own keeper; Lorrell Smith was on it in a flash but the defender caught up with him a and looked have pushed him over, the ref from way back at the centre line waived it away as a fair challenge (not really sure how that was) and it was cleared out for a break that fell to sub Martin Danobregga who hit a long low shot in the gloom that beat Ponting at the foot of his post for 4-0 on 83 mins.


Another long ball again found Webb in space but he shot over from a good position, before as the game drew to a gloomy close Lorrell Smith was fed through twice and both times his shot was taken by Josephs.


In the last min Jordan Wright made a good run that fed in Banobregga again but this time his shot was well stopped by Ponting.


This was a poor show from Arlesey with every player performing well below par and in this game they were well beaten. They have the chance quickly to pick themselves up on Tuesday as they travel to Enfield Borough from Div one in the League Challenge Trophy.




Team :   Robbie Ponting, Lewis Sinclair, Ross Taylor, Jason Darvall (Lawrence 85), Aaron Gooch, Tom Guiney © (Brown 77), Makudzeyi Makuzza (Gaffney 60), James Hatch, Lorrell Smith, Ash Fuller, Aarron Browne.


Subs; Demi Debola, Aedan Gaffney, Ricky Lawrence, Ryan Lamond, Adam Brown.











A Members Club Since 1891 

Members Of The Spartan South Midlands League and Bedfordshire F.A

© Arlesey Town FC 2018               Website Designed & Edited By CrazyDog Web Design

Our Sponsors

Social Media

Arlesey Town FC

New Lamb Meadow Stadium

Hitchin Road


SG15 6RS