Sat 23rd Nov

Colney Heath

SSML Premier Division




Arlesey Town

1st game for any new manager is a tough call. Add to that it’s away at 2nd in the league, you have only had 1 training session and you are missing 5 or 6 regular 1st team regulars inc most of the normal strike force, a tough baptism of fire was in the offing.

However Arlesey turned up for this with 100% the correct attitude and played good football from the 1st whistle Ross Taylor operated extremely well pushing on from full back and delivering in several great balls and combining well with Aarron Browne, Ryan Lamond hit a good shot from the other wing that pulled a good save from the keeper, Browne put in a great cross/shot that needed a really good save as Arlesey applied all of the early pressure but that were caught out as on 17 mins Lamond put in a cross that was cleared, the home team broke down the slope outstripping the Arlesey defence that was a little high, the forward hit a shot that Robbie Ponting initially saved but he only pushed it into the path of the following forward who made no mistake from the follow up as he put it past Ponting for 1-0.

Arlesey pushed on and Demi Debola won a ball on the edge of the area and hit a good shot that deflected just past the post and from the corner Jason Darvall headed wide.Arlesey kept delivering the crosses in from both sides but Colney were well drilled in the centre of defence and crowded out Dom David who was playing centre forward today.
A Colney FK was taken by Ponting before on the half hour Debola cut out a cross conceding a corner. This went deep to the far post and was driven in hard through the crowd and into the net for perhaps Colney,s 2nd effort on target and second goal.

Again Arlesey kept up the hard work and from a corner Jardell Stirling was very unlucky as he saw his header beat the keeper before hitting the bar but it remained 2-0 at HT.



A couple of Colney corners were well defended by Arlesey before a FK by Browne looked to be heading for the top corner before the keeper made a great save pushing it over the bar. Colney seemed unable to come up with many ideas to push Arlesey back but equally Arlesey didn’t really have enough up front themselves to really penetrate the Colney defence.

A Browne FK was cleared before another Fk was punched clear to Lamond who cut in and hit another good shot that was punched over the bar. In the rain strength sapped and the game finished as a 2-0 Loss.
A good effort from Arlesey especially with the amount of players missing and sooner or later the threads will come together and results will show it.

Report By Chris Sterry, Images By C. Marshall