Sat 8th Feb

Crawley Green

SSML Premier Division







Arlesey Town




A day that was the calm before storm Ciera and on a billiard flat 3G pitch Arlesey had skipper Aarron Browne’s Sundon Park Rangers u7s as mascots for this away game and it proved to be a great watch.


Arlesey started positively as Ross Taylor put in a good cross that the Crawley Green keeper took right under the bar. The home side quickly settled into their familiar passing game on the 3G but Arlesey kept them to some long range shots that were no trouble for Robbie Ponting returning in goal.


Demi Debola headed on well to feed in Charlie Moss but the keeper came out quickly to close him down. Crawley came close as a header from a corner clipped the bar before going out. At the other end Moss was brought down on the edge but Browne’s FK was headed out for a corner that was cleared.


Crawley also won a FK on the edge of Arlesey’s area and the ball was driven into the wall flicking up and dropping just over the bar for a corner that Ponting claimed. The break through came on 28 mins as a cross ball in found Phil Draycott in space and he drove in a shot that was too hot for Ponting although he got gloves on it and the ball went past him for 1-0.

Arlesey regrouped; Josh Brown won the ball in the middle and fed Charlie Black who hit a good looping long range shot that just drifted over the bar and Ryan Lamond put in a good ball that fed in Moss who hit a good shot that was well saved by the keeper.Arlesey came really close from a corner as Moss headed against the bar the ball dropped to Jardell Stirling who flicked it up the keeper made a superb finger tip save before another shot was cleared of the line and eventually cleared.

Arlesey were now getting to grips with the pitch and Charlie Black fizzed a low shot that just skimmed past the post and a good move saw Black feed Lamond who put in a good cross that the defender only just cut out in front of Moss, but the half finished with the home side being 1-0 up.

Arlesey started the 2nd half really strongly, a good ball from Stirling found Browne who won a corner. This was delivered into the crowd and Alassane Gomis powered in to drive it through the crowd and into the net for 1-1 and his 1st goal for the club on 48mins.

A long shot from Crawley was saved by Ponting before on the hour a good ball by Debola found Lamond who won a corner, this came back to Black but his shot was wide and over the bar. On 64 mins Charlie Moss won the ball on the half way line as Crawley pushed forward; he raced away with the defence in his wake and as he got to the box drove a great shot past the keeper into the net for 1-2.

Crawley made a double sub to try to get back into the game but they were very nearly undone as a defender under pressure from Moss headed past his keeper with Moss following it, the ball just missed the far post by trajectory but Moss just caught up with it at the post but was just unable to turn it around the post. Almost against the run of play as Arlesey pushed on the ball found Sam Holmes from Crawley in the box, he turned smartly and drove to ball low and accurately into the corner of the Arlesey net for 2-2 on 74 mins.


With confidence now with Crawley again Holmes was fed through again and another good accurate shot went past Ponting but it hit the post and was put out for a corner that was cleared. Arlesey replaced Charlie Black with Kieran Hamilton which led to a little reorganisation and this paid off just 3 mins later as a good ball through by Debola fed Lamond through the centre, he beat the defender went around the keeper and slid the ball into the net for a very good goal and 2-3 on 80 mins.

A FK. Found Moss who shot just past the post and another good cross in found Moss who hit a good shot that brought a great save out of the keeper pushing it out for a corner that was cleared. With the clock running down Arlesey replaced Lamond with Luis Fernandes and on 89 mins Moss was replaced by Bukele Mukudi. With Crawley making a last effort Draycott hit a good shot that needed saving by Ponting but Arlesey kept control to see the time out and a massively important 2-3 away win.

This was a really good performance all round for Arlesey especially 2nd half and they fully deserved the win. They must do it again on Tuesday as they visit Wembley FC in another really important game in which they really need 3 points.

Report By Chris Sterry