Sat 7th Dec

Arlesey Town

SSML Premier Division




North Greenford United

With North Greenford recording their 1st win in the week v Baldock they were “up for this game” and started really strongly whilst Arlesey just failed to do.


In just the 3rd min an angled deep cross was delivered in, it looked speculative and not really dangerous but it sailed over Robbie Ponting’s outstretched hand and dropped into the to corner for a surprising 0-1 lead. NGU became even more confident at this and kept up the pressure another ball found the winger whose shot hit the post before Ponting grabbed the next shot.


The NGU players were gaining FK after FK as they went down just a little to easy although Arlesey were making it easy for them. As the FKs progressed the NGU players became ever more theatrical with their “injuries” although the ref didn’t seem to notice that we were entering the pantomime season. Both Conor Young and Aedan Gaffney we’re booked (Gaffney’s was particularly worthy of a replay). After 20 mins Arlesey put together a proper attack with a good flowing move as James Hatch fed Demi Debola who found Ryan Lamond who slipped Hatch through who hit a good shot that the keeper pushed around the post for a corner. Again Arlesey were struggling to get any flow going as NGU kept drawing “debatable “ FKs.


The NGU centre forward went down softly in the box but this wasn’t given (and neither was a booking) and a couple of mins later Lamond was brought down in the box at the other end but this wasn’t given either. Just before HT the NGU forward produced a moment of pure comedy as he did a perfect two handed slam dunk from a corner and was booked for forgetting he was actually meant to be playing football. HT 0-1.

Arlesey replaced Alessaine Gomis with Charlie Black at HT and reorganised. Arlesey looked better straight away no doubt having learnt some new words in Portuguese at half time. Moss fed in Hatch who turned well and hit a shot that skimmed just over the bar. Arlesey were now getting the FKs as NGU dropped deeper into defence. A FK from Charlie Black was only half cleared coming to Gaffney who shot just past the post. Another Black FK was punched off of Hatches head for a corner. A now rare NGU attack saw the winger again clash with Conor Young and the ref produced a 2nd Yellow for Young sending him to test the showers early.

Another reorganisation for Arlesey but actually Arlesey pushed on from this point. Gaffney found Hatch who shot at the keeper Ross Taylor put in a good cross that won a corner, from this a big shout for hand ball went up but the ref waived it away. Hatch had another good turn and shot that was blocked. A raid down right by NGU saw a good pull back and shot which produced a good save from Ponting A good cross in found Black and he hit a good shot on the turn that pulled a good save from the keeper. Arlesey introduced Luis Fernandes for Gaffney as NGU tried to slow the game down, Black had a shot blocked, and Moss hit a shot that was well saved before a break to the other end saw Ponting save well at the NGU forwards feet.

Arlesey were just seemingly unable to find that killer ball on the day as Black headed wide and Fernandes shot over and North Greenford hung on for their 2nd win in the week.

The 1st 45 mins were totally unacceptable. From Arlesey’s point of view they just didn’t get started and didn’t put enough effort in and from an NGU point of view their was far to much simulation and just not “playing the game”. The second half was better but Arlesey failed to find a way through. Things will need to improve from this point and that starts Tuesday as the entertain Aston Clinton in the League Trophy.

Report By Chris Sterry, Images Courtesy Of Lockie_Photo