Tue 12th Nov

North Greenford Utd

SSML Premier Division Cup




Arlesey Town



A very wet pitch greeted Arlesey last night for this Premiere div cup match v North Greenford.


With injuries sickness and work making the squad a little thin Arlesey started pretty well although the pitch made control very difficult for both sides and there were several free kicks as defenders tried to tackle and were just a little out.


Arlesey took the lead on 26 mins from an excellent move initiated by Aedan Gaffney who put the ball out to Ryan Lamond who put in a great cross that James Hatch put in from close range 0-1.


This however didn’t last long as a break down the left led to a shot that although Robbie Ponting saved he couldn’t hang onto it and it was returned past him by the forward for 1-1.


Just a minute later Arlesey were caught again with another break down the left and Ponting could not get to the 1st time shot and suddenly Arlesey were behind 2-1 on the half hour mark. Arlesey tried to keep their feet on the slippery pitch and Gaffney had a good effort from the edge of the area that produced a corner that was cleared leaving the home side with a 2-1 lead at HT.

The second period was a bit of a slog in the conditions Fabian Brown-Johnson has a shot across the goal and Ponting made a good save at the other end but slowly Arlesey were gaining control of the pitch and the game and the equaliser came on 63mins as a good ball found Lamond in space and he attacked and hit an accurate shot into the far corner of the net off the foot of the post for 2-2.

A good shot from Hatch saw the keeper just manage to get the ball around his post for a corner, from that Lamond went down in the box but the appeals were waived away. Brown-Johnson had to be helped from the pitch after a collision which left him with an either dislocated or broken shoulder that will require hospital attention and Hatch run out of steam after a lot of work on the heavy pitch. Just before the final whistle a North Greenford player was sent off for a sliding tackle that connected but there wasn’t enough time for Arlesey to take advantage and full time was 2-2 and penalties.

Alassaine Gomis scored the 1st as did NGU the second was missed by the home side and Demi Debola had his effort saved the 3rd Josh Brown and NGU scored as did Gaffney and NGUs 4th leaving it to the last shots.
Robbie Ponting made a superb save for the 5th and then stepped up to score the 5th and win the tie in a dramatic final flourish.

This win gives Arlesey a home tie on January 7th v Leverstock Green.

Report By Chris Sterry